BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Mariachi Chicken

One of our many bad habits is going out to eat. You know you go out too much when you have lived in a city for 2 months and you are already sick of all the restaurants.

The main reason we go out to eat is my laziness. It is time for dinner, I don't want to cook and we have already eaten all of the Mac & Cheese. So, I went to Costco looking for some frozen throw in the oven food. The majority of what I found was outrageously high in fat and salt with next to no nutritional value. At least Mac & Cheese is fortified.

I shopped around and found organic spinach lasagna. Cool, something nutritious! I brought it home popped in the oven and an hour later could barely gag it down. I still have the other tray of it in the freezer. I wonder if the dogs would eat it? Probably not.

So my next thought was, "Why can't I just freeze my own frozen dinners?" I found a really great cookbook and got to work. The idea is to cook 3 or 4 times what you would normally cook, eat one and freeze the rest. Or you can get together with friends and cook together or swap food. I don't have any friends so the later is out.

This is what I made today.

First I had to bludgeon the chicken flat. You are supposed to use a rolling pin for this, but mine is still in a box and buried in the garage. I used a Nalgene bottle. It was amazingly satisfying to pound the hell out of a chicken breast

Then you put this colorful mix of peppers, olives and green onions in the center of the flattened chicken.


Next, roll it up. Put it in a pan and freeze them.



Once these bad boys are frozen then you can put them in a ziplock bag.

You also make a sauce out of cream cheese and salsa, which you freeze in a separate ziplock bag.

When you want to make it, you just pull out the chicken and sauce, put it in a pan, thaw, bake for one hour and Wahoo! you have dinner.



Sorry to bore you with all of the details. I guess I am just really impressed with myself.

2 comments:

Tazia said...

That's amazing. Me and Aj also eat out way more than we should because I never want to make dinner but this actually seems do-able. I think I will try it!

Kateka said...

Holy cow. That looks amazing. Seriously, amazing. I just want to rip through my computer and eat your finished product.