BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Eragon and the Idiot Who Has to Finish Reading it

I picked up Eragon the other day. I was bored, too lazy to go to the bookstore and too lazy to read anything really thought provoking. Thought provoking, Eragon is definitly not!

I am confused by why this book was such a huge hit. I am a little over halfway finished and this is how I would sum up the adventures of Eragon.

Travel a really long time to some city, make an asinine mistake, get attacked, in the process end up unconscious, get sorry ass rescued. Repeat and repeat and repeat.

I admit I am not a fan of fantasy, but this seems more tedious than the regular run of the mill fantasy/hero's journey. And what is it with his relationship with this dragon. Seems a little weird to me. I think maybe the author has some secret unclean thoughts about dragon lovin'. (Poor, unfortunate, socially awkward, homeschooled child)

And the biggest lame-o in this whole scenario is me. Cuz guess what, I am going to spend the entire day finishing the stupid book. Will he be able to save beautiful elf girl in his dreams? (Not that it matters, unless she is into sweet dragon three-somes) Who is Murtagh? And how the hell is stupid Eragon going to destroy the Empire?

Wait I see it all clearly now! Let me guess, big bad king dude is his father? "Eragon, I am your faaatheeer"


Kid raised by uncle who is tragically killed, kid goes to seek revenge and becomes a Jedi, oh I mean Dragon Rider. Kid is guided by old dude who turns out to be a Jedi, oh I mean Dragon Rider in hiding. Old dude dies forcing kid to test his own strength and knowledge. Kid then joins the Rebel forces, oh I mean the Varden.

If I keep reading maybe there will be Ewoks!

5 comments:

perkiwindy said...

Just finished Angels and Demons for the second time myself (had to get ready for the movie in a couple weeks). If you haven't read it you should. You probably have though...

Kateka said...

Oh no. That is like me. I have to finish lame things that I start. Like one day at work, I decide to start watching Melrose Place season 1 to pass the time. I started hating it by, oh, episode 2, but I couldn't drop it! I spent the next two weeks watching 30 ridiculous season 1 episode of Melrose place. I hated it! The whole time! But I had to finish it. Best of luck in your endevours that you can't quit. :)

angelrich said...

I love it! I had the SAME thoughts, but not so elegantly, nor satiracally put. Needless to say I've finished all the published books. Darn it. Fourth one finally gets better.

angelrich said...

Okay, I think Brisingr is the third book. But I liked it better than the others, whatever the number.

Tazia said...

Hahaha! You are so right about him copying the whole Star Wars story! It is ridiculous, to funny!