BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, January 5, 2009

I am a Baker! I Bake!

While my mom was at my house she threatened to take one of my Christmas presents away. It was a big, beautiful book on baking (try and say that 3 times fast). Her reasons for this were as follows:

1. When I pulled out my Kitchen Aide to make Christmas cookies it had cobwebs in it.

2. I had none of the basic baking ingredients on hand, no shortening, no brown sugar, only 2 cups of regular sugar. Hey at least I had flour!

3. Each time my mom got frustrated, I replied, "Hey! I don't bake!"

The reasons I don't bake are:

1. Baking = high fat, high sugar, no nutrition. If it isn't those things it is gagga magga!

2. If there is a pan of brownies in my house, I have to eat it, all of it, and I am not happy until it is gone!

3. Not really all that skilled. I understand cooking, spices, ways to thicken things, substitutions that work. Baking - - not so much. I don't understand why things will raise or go flat or how a batter should look to achieve desired results.

So, I decided to get over my irrational fears. If I bake once in a while it is not going to kill me, and if I don't do it I will never learn the skills, and the things in that book look really good.

I am now going to bake on Sundays. This Sunday I made Cherry Pie.

And here is the recipe:

1. Go to the freezer and get Marie Callender's frozen cherry pie. (The brand is important. Marie is the only one who can make a decent cherry!)

2. Take the pie out of the box, remove the plastic, and put it on a cookie sheet. If you don't remove the plastic, you will be really disappointed.

3. Read the directions on the box. Turn on the oven. Honestly, who has the foresight to pre-heat?

4. Pop that baby in the oven and bake.

Serve with vanilla ice cream on top.

4 comments:

Tazia said...

Lol, that is the best way to bake!

Alana Lange said...

I LOVE it, sounds like my kind of baking!

angelrich said...

Hey, your mom is a great baking teacher. She's been teaching me! Just imagine having a kid that's allergic to dairy, eggs, and peanuts, and being on a diet that requires no refined sugar. That's when baking gets fun!

Kateka said...

So yummy. :) Hey will you do me a favor and leave a message on Angie and David's blog and tell them to add my email to their private blog?

kjeppson at 1800 contacts dot com

(sorry I type it up so that computers can catch it and send me crap)